As I spent time in the ConAgra Foods booth at the expo at the BlissDom Conference, I was overwhelmed by all of the information I was given. The thought that the kids next door may not be eating started to hit me hard.
I walked away with a heavy heart. It's something that didn't just cross my mind everyday, but hunger is common, and many people including myself are needed to help.
Check out the following statistics from Feeding America (the nation’s leading domestic hunger relief organization):
- More than 1 in 5 children in the U.S. don’t know where their next meal is coming from
- More than 16 million children in the U.S. face hunger
- The face of child hunger is different than you might think. It’s not just starving or homeless children. Often, it’s a one- or two-income family that has suffered from the economy and have depleted their savings.
How does that make you feel? Does it shock you to know that even some of the people you see in your community may be without food today?
It really breaks my heart.
Reading the statistics is hard enough, but seeing the faces of the families and hearing the children speak brought me to my knees.
I'm praying that together we will end child hunger!
Please watch the video below to understand the challenge our country is facing and consider what you can do to help:
These are America's children!
It's not easy to watch that, but it is important to see it. Child hunger exists and it is very real. Now, let me tell you about two easy things I'm doing to help and you can do them too!
- Enter codes from participating ConAgra Foods products at www.ChildHungerEndsHere.com
- Join the conversation by tweeting with the #childhunger hashtag throughout the campaign
As a bonus to you for help in ending child hunger,
when you enter a code at www.ChildHungerEndsHere.com,
you will get access to the “Here’s Hope” song by Jewel,
Jay Sean or Owl City, plus exclusive, behind-the-scenes content.
TAKE THE NO KID HUNGRY PLEDGE TODAY!
Note: Feed America has a hunger heat map: make sure you select the “Child Hunger” tab for the latest stats specific to children
Be sure to watch the documentary
from The Food Network and No Kid Hungry on
April 14, 8pm/7c